Thursday, February 11, 2010

Snow, Fevers, Working from Home... OH MY!

The last couple of days have been a little rough... my son was sent from daycare on Tuesday with a fever (most likely connected the ear infections), we got close to a foot of snow yesterday (and we ALL stayed/worked from home) and this morning my little man is still not feeling 100%.

I tried hard to stay strong when it came to my diet - I had a few unconscious mistakes, but other than that not too bad. I think I might do an off cycle weigh in today or tomorrow to give myself some incentive for the weekend.
The last 2 days at home have allowed me the extra time to try out 2 new recipes: Chicken Stroganoff and Crockpot Pork Tenderloin - both recipes were found on www.kimkins.com. Both were pretty good and will be made again in my house.

Chicken Stroganoff
Serves 4
2 - 7oz boneless chicken breast (no skin)
1 cup chopped fresh mushrooms, any kind
1 medium yellow onion, cut into chunks
2 cups of chicken broth
1/2 cup sour cream
garlic powder
salt & pepper
oil

1. Season chicken generously with salt, pepper and garlic powder
2. Heat a skillet (not non-stick) on high & and add 2-3 tablespoons of oil
3. Sear each side of the chicken for about 1 minute, then reduce the heat to medium and cook for 5 minutes
Remove the chicken from the pan and discard the oil (if there is any). Put the chicken back in the pan and add 1/2 cup of broth. Cover and cook on med/low until no longer pink in the center. Add more broth as it reduces so there is always about 1/4" in the pan. Remove the chicken and the remaining broth from the pan and place in a dish.
4. Add 2 teaspoons of oil to the pan. Toss in the mushrooms and onions and sauté on medium until soft.
5. Pour the liquid (from the dish with the chicken) back into the pan and add an additional 1/2 cup of broth to deglaze. Turn off the heat to very low and add 1/2 cup of sour cream. Mix until well integrated.
6. Slice the chicken breast into 1" strips and add to the pan. Cover and let simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from the heat and let rest to thicken the sauce.

Nutrition Info - these are approximate
Calories: 219
Carbs: 5 grams
Protein: 17 grams
Fat: 14 grams

This recipe was tasty - I used chicken stock instead of broth (I always think it adds more favor) and I do not think I let it sit long enough once it was done to really thicken the sauce. I was better the next day for lunch. I served it over penne for my husband - I ate mine with steamed green beans.

Crockpot Pork Tenderloin
Serves 8
2lbs pork tenderloin - trimmed of any visible fat
1/2 cups olive oil (extra virgin)
1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon ground mustard
1 teaspoon thyme
black pepper

In a gallon size ziploc bag - mix up the olive oil, soy sauce, garlic powder, mustard, pepper and thyme. Place the pork tenderloins into the bag and marinate for 30 minutes to 3 hours. Place the pork and the marinade into the crockpot (or slowcooker) and cook on low for 6 to 8 hours.

Nutrition Info - these are approximate
Calories: 201
Carbs: 1 gram
Protein: 34 grams
Fat: 6 grams

This was also tasty and pretty easy. The original recipe said to marinate the pork overnight but to me that is too much! I think pork tenderloin is so tender that it can easily get over marinated - yuck. I let mine cook for 7 hours and it basically shredded when I took it out the cooker... maybe 6 hours should be the max next time.

One thing I find difficult about being home on the weekends or working from home is the lack of schedule when it comes to meals... on a normal day my schedule is pretty set breakfast between 8:30 and 9am, lunch between 12 and 1 and dinner around 6:30.  I have a few snacks throughout the day along with plenty of water.  At home I barely eat breakfast and then I want lunch no later than 12... I rarely get a snack or water.
Throw a sick kid into the mix and forget it!  I have to end this post and go get something to eat!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment