Sunday, September 20, 2009

Not a bad start...

Yesterday's start to my families one week vacation got off to without too much drama - my diet was not quite out of my mind at that point and I have to say I had a pretty good day overall. The day began with one of my new favorites - oatmeal from Jamba Juice (Newark Airport gets another star in my book for having a Jamba Juice on site.) Oh - this was unusual... we enter the airport after checking are bags at the curbside check-in, we take the elevator (using double stroller for the kiddies) up to level to go through security. As we are approaching the security area my 3 and 1/2 year says "It smells like bacon - I need a piece of bacon!" - so after locating the Jamba Juice we stopped by "Steak Escape" for a side of bacon - she enjoyed the bacon! We boarded the plane and had a relatively drama free flight - the kids were great considering the confined space. We were offered turkey sandwiches on the flight - I have to say it was one of the best "meals" I have ever eaten on a plane (while flying Coach - nothing compares to First Class baby). The meal consisted of a Jennie-O 99% fat free turkey sandwich on a small roll (I removed the wilted lettuce and skipped the lite mayo), a small bag of baby carrots, and a mini Kit Kat... practically perfect in every way! Once we landed and use the restroom we dropped by the airport Burger King for some chicken tenders for my daughter - she ate 2, I ate the rest (like 8)! After a wait in the rental car line, another trip to the restroom for each child (yes that means we used the restroom 3 times within a 20 minute period), a somewhat trying wait and ride to the rental car off site pick up place I began to sweat like never before! It was raining and the air was so thick with heat - the rain drops were warm - GROSS! I stood under a canopy for what seemed like an hour (the intense sweating was blurring my sense of time) until we finally had the bags loaded, infant car seat installed (that took 2 attempts) and the booster seat strapped into the Nissan Xterra we rented. Off to Babies R Us for baby supplies and then on to my aunts for the first destination of the week.
Today I realized the Xterra is too SMALL! We hung out in the pool after breakfast (pancakes (not too many)) and then got ready to leave the house for a visit to the Turtle Museum and then the beach. We took one car (that is 3 adults and 2 kids in car seats) - I road in the back with the infant seat, the booster seat and my larger than I would like body - I thought I was going to pass out - and I started sweating again... at leat it was 100 degrees out - I can use that as an excuse! We went to a Turtle Museum - they rescue turtles and nurse them back to health... it was cool. Plus at the gift shop I bought an awesome hat for the beach! After the Museum we headed to the beach in Jupiter - it was a nice day!
Right now I am totally exhausted and will be heading to bed shortly... I have to be up early in the morning - we are heading to Disney tomorrow! But the real reason to get up early is that my husband is taking the Xterra back to the car rental place and changing it for a mini-van! I do not think he is happy about this and he is not doing it because he agrees the car is too small for us.... the reason is he refuses to listen to me complain for the rest of the vacation about the car. Whatever the reason (which I have decided will be "he agrees that I am right about the car being too small") I am happy! Stupid Xterra!

Sweet dreams from Palm Beach Gardens... catch up with you from Orlando!

2 comments:

  1. Hang in there! We're on modifyied South Beach/Low Glycemic Index here at 21 Shady and we're doing well so far...it's day 3. I have some awesome cookbooks checked out from the Library if you're interested, lots of great quick and easy meal and snack ideas. Enjoy FL and just think of all you are sweating off!

    ReplyDelete
  2. ummm don't know what happened with my spelling in that post!

    ReplyDelete